Friday, July 10, 2009

Family DVD Night (Part 1)

Family DVD Night (Part 1)..


--By Hanje Richards

One of the challenges of purchasing materials for a public library is to make sure there is a little something for everybody. The challenge for today’s blog entry was to find DVDs that are both appropriate for children and enjoyable for adults. We have some great selections which might make for a perfect Family DVD Night or a Rainy Afternoon DVD Marathon.

Some of the DVDs I selected for family viewing have been around so long that I used to watch them with my son, who is now an adult. Others are newer, and I must confess I have not seen them myself but am relying on the recommendations of others.




So…. What do we have that will please across the generations? Big, Neverending Story, and Honey I Shrunk the Kids are DVDs that were watched repeatedly in our house, and I think they will continue to delight children of all ages.





We also watched October Sky and Cast Away when my son was a little older.






Some of the DVDs in our collection that are more recent are Golden Compass, Madeline, Akeelah and the Bee, Shrek, Shrek 2, and Willow.




If the DVD you are looking for is not available, we are happy to put a hold on it, so we can contact you when it does become available.