Monday, February 22, 2010

I Just Listened To…

…Farewell, My Subaru: An Epic Adventure In Local Living (by Doug Fine)
.
--by Hanje Richards
.
This was a fun read (listen?). Doug Fine chronicles his year embracing an environmentally friendly lifestyle. Vowing to grow all his own food, harness the sun’s power for his electrical needs, and consume as little fossil fuel as possible, Fine faces surprising obstacles at every turn as he discovers that going green is easier said than done.

.
Farewell, My Subaru on CD is modest in length -- 4 discs, totaling 4 hours and 15 minutes of listening time. It is narrated by the author, who does a “fine” job. This book is funny and educational. I found it particularly comforting when I could laugh at my own small-scale attempts to live a greener lifestyle. I think anyone who has worked on going green, whether it is recycling or composting or water harvesting, can relate to Fine’s adventures.
.
The challenges Doug Fine faces as he tries to reduce his carbon footprint and live off the grid will resonate as you listen to him explain how he came to be at the Funky Butte Ranch and how he reduced his footprint (carbon and otherwise), and rode the “Hypocrisy Reduction Train.”